Flooding & Emergencies
Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council works with a range of agencies such as PSNI, DfI Rivers, NI Fire & Rescue Service, NI Water, local Health Trust and the Housing Executive to plan for and respond effectively to emergency situations.
In the event of a major emergency, the Council can assist in a number of ways:
- Make buildings such as leisure and community centres temporarily available as shelters for people who have been displaced from their homes;
- Provide advice and guidance to residents and businesses on cleaning up after major flooding or pollution;
- Assess structural damage to buildings;
- Provide staff/equipment to responding agencies as requested;
- Co-ordinate and lead multi-agency meetings to plan for recovery.
Be Ready for Emergencies
As a local resident, you can take simple steps to “Be Ready” for emergencies such as severe weather. There is lots of advice on the NI Direct ‘Be ready for emergencies’ web page, where you can download lots of useful information on how to prepare for flooding, templates to devise your own household emergency plan, how to prepare your home for winter weather and lots more.
To report flooding on your property, roads, burst water mains and blocked drains. Please telephone 0300 2000 100 This number is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to report flooding. When you report a flooding incident, staff will know which agency needs to respond.
You can also contact the Council’s Environment Health department for advice on clean-up of properties following a flooding incident. In addition, Council officers may be able to provide information on the Department for Communities’ Scheme of Emergency Financial Assistance. (SEFA)
For further information on preparing for and dealing with flooding please visit www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/flooding
Alternatively, you can download the “Advice on how to take care of your home before, during and after a flood”
Useful online services
- Sign up to receive Met Office weather alerts here
- Check for latest power cuts information from NIE here
- Report surface flooding on the road e.g. blocked gully, surface ponding here
- Report an obstruction on the road e.g. a fallen tree here
- Keep up to date with the latest traffic information here