Home Complaints



We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.

If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.  This Customer Guidance describes our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint. It also tells you about how we will handle your complaint and what you can expect from us.

Please note this procedure is effective from 1 January 2024. Complaints received before this date are subject to the 2023 procedure.

You can make your complaint in person, by phone, by email or in writing. We have a two-stage complaints procedure. We will always try to deal with your complaint quickly. But if it is clear that the matter will need in-depth investigation, we will talk to you about this and keep you updated on our progress.

Stage 1: Frontline response

We will always try to respond to your complaint quickly, within 5 working days if we can. If you are dissatisfied with our response, you can ask us to consider your complaint at Stage 2.

Stage 2: Investigation

We will look at your complaint at this stage if you are dissatisfied with our response at Stage 1. We also look at some complaints at this stage, if following discussion and agreement with you, it is clear that an in-dept investigation is needed.

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days.

We will confirm the issues of complaint to be investigated and what you want to achieve. We will investigate the complaint and give you our decision as soon as possible. This will be after no more that 20 working days unless there is clearly a good reason for needing more time.

Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman (NIPSO)

If, after receiving our final decision on your complaint, you remain dissatisfied with our decision or the way we have handled your complaint, you can ask NIPSO to consider it. NIPSO Will assess whether there is evidence of service failure or maladministration not identified by us which requires further investigation. NIPSO will signpost you to alternative independent reviewers and provide contact details (where relevant).

We regard a complaint as ‘An expression of dissatisfaction by one or more members of the public about the Council’s action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by or on behalf of the Council’.

Confidentiality is important in complaints handling. Personal data is held and stored by the Council in a safe and secure manner and in compliance with Data Protection.

Personal data will not be shared or disclosed to anyone else without the subject’s consent.

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint and provide contact details. Our complaints procedure has two stages.

Stage 1: Frontline response 

We aim to respond to complaints quickly (where possible when you first tell us about the issue). This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, or immediate action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at stage 1 in 5 working days or less unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If you are not satisfied with the response, we give at stage 1, we will tell you what you can do next. If you choose to, you can take your complaint to stage 2. You must normally ask us to consider your complaint at stage 2 either:

  • within six months of the event, you want to complain about or finding out that you have a reason to complain; or
  • within 30 days of receiving your stage 1 response from us (if this is later).

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a stage 2 complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

Stage 2: Investigation 

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at stage 1 and those that clearly require in-depth investigation, and so are handled at this stage following discussion and agreement with you. If you do not wish your complaint to be handled at stage 1, you can ask us to handle it at stage 2 instead.
When using stage 2:

  • we will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days.
  • we will confirm our understanding of the complaint we will investigate and what outcome you are looking for.
  • we will try to resolve your complaint where we can (in some cases we may suggest using an alternative complaint resolution approach, such as mediation); and
  • where we cannot resolve your complaint, we will give you a full response as soon as possible, normally within 20 working days.
  • If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will tell you our revised time limits and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?              

After we have given you our final decision, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman (NIPSO) to look at it.

NIPSO is the final stage for complaints about the majority of public services in Northern Ireland. This includes complaints about us. NIPSO is an independent organisation that investigates complaints. The service provided by NIPSO is free. It is not an advocacy or support service (but there are other organisations who can help you with advocacy or support).

If you remain dissatisfied when you have a final response from us, you can ask NIPSO to look at your complaint. NIPSO generally expect complaints to be brought to it:

  • within 6 months since you received correspondence from us informing you that the complaints handling procedure is complete and of your right to refer your complaint to NIPSO.

NIPSO will generally ask you to provide details of your complaint and a copy of our final response to your complaint.  You can do this online at www.NIPSO.org.uk or call them on Freephone 0800 34 34 24.

You may wish to get independent support or advocacy to help you progress your complaint. See the section on ‘Getting help to make my complaint’ below.

NIPSO’s contact details are:

The Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman, 33 Wellington Place , Belfast, BT1 6HN

Tel Freephone: 0800 34 34 24  /  Email:   /  Web: The office of the Northern Ireland Ombudsman (nipso.org.uk)

(If you would like to visit in person, you must make an appointment first)

The freepost address is FREEPOST NIPSO

If NIPSO cannot investigate your complaint and your complaint requires an alternative route for independent review, NIPSO will tell you and provide you with the relevant contact details.

Getting help to make my complaint    

We understand that you may be unable or reluctant to make a complaint yourself.  We accept complaints from the representative of a person who is dissatisfied with our service. We can take complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your written consent to complain on your behalf.

Elected members that serve Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon Borough council when acting on behalf of a complainant must adhere to the Northern Ireland Local Government Code of Conduct for Councillors (the Code). The code sets out principles and rules that a councillor must observe.

Should you have evidence that the councillor may have breached the Code of Conduct you can complain to the local government commissioner for standards the commissioner is independent of government and council and investigations are conducted with no cost to the customer.

A copy of the code and complaint form can be found on the commissioner’s website: NI Local Government Code Of Conduct For Councillors | Department for Communities (communities-ni.gov.uk)

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting:

Community Advice Armagh, 9 McCrums Court, Armagh.

028 3752 4041

Community Advice Craigavon, Portadown Health Centre, Tavanagh Ave, Mount Zion House, Edward Street, Lurgan

028 3836 1181

Advice NI and NICVA
You can find out about advisers in your area through Advice NI and NICVA through their websites:

Welcome to Advice NI | Advice NI

We are committed to making our service easy to use for all members of the community. In line with our statutory equality duties, we will always ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to help you access and use our services. If you have trouble putting your complaint in writing, or want this information in another language or format, such as large font, or Braille, please tell us in person. Contact us on 0300 0300 900, email us at

We are a JAM Card Friendly organisation, allowing people with learning difficulties, autism and communication difficulties to ask for Just a Minute of patience when they need it.

Please use the form below to submit your complaint: