Home Resident Consumer Protection

Consumer Protection

Consumer Protection

The Environmental Health Department has an important role to protect consumers against unsafe goods which are manufactured, distributed, supplied or sold in the Borough.  An unsafe product is one that poses a risk of injury during normal use, when used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

All consumer goods including second hand goods should comply with any relevant legislation or recognised safety standards, however many people are injured each year due to unsafe consumer goods.

Making a complaint
We will investigate complaints about the safety of goods purchased by consumers from traders including on-line sales.  If you are a consumer and need general advice regarding an unsafe product or if you have bought a product which you feel is unsafe, you can contact us and we will investigate your complaint.

  • Buying safe goods
    Only purchase goods from a reputable trader. You should take extra care when buying goods on the internet. There is an increasing number of non-EU sellers advertising through online marketplaces e.g. eBay and Amazon. You may be able to click on the name to display their address. Goods bought from sellers outside the EU may not comply with stringent EU and UK safety standards.
  • Ensure goods have recognised safety symbols or signs e.g. CE Mark, Kite Mark, BEAB or Lion Mark.
  • It is important that you always read and follow any instructions and safety warnings that come with goods. Pay particular attention to age restrictions on toys. If you didn’t receive the instructions or safety warnings, contact the trader. This also applies when you buy second-hand goods or hire goods.
  • Keep receipts as proof of purchase

Safety Alerts/Unsafe goods
RAPEX or Rapid Alert System is the EU rapid alert system for dangerous consumer products (except food). When a product e.g. a toy, childcare article or household appliance is found to be dangerous, the competent national authority takes appropriate action to eliminate the risk. It can withdraw the product from the market, recall it, or issue warnings.

The Trading Standards Central website contains a list of product safety notices and recalls.

You can also keep abreast of any safety repairs or recalls on products that you may have, by registering your appliances.  Details can be found on the following link: https://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/

Information on OPSS product safety alerts, reports and recalls for unsafe products – Product Recalls and Alerts – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Useful links