Home Resident Planning Enforcement (Resident)

Planning Enforcement (Resident)

Planning Enforcement

We investigate alleged breaches of planning control such as building work taking place without planning permission or properties being used for business or other uses where the necessary planning permission has not been granted. We also investigates other offences under planning law such as the unauthorised display of advertisements or unauthorised works to a listed building or protected tree.

In all cases where a breach of planning control is identified we will consider the harm being caused by the breach and how it could best be remedied. Sometimes we are informed of matters that may not be in the public interest to investigate further.

Many enforcement cases are resolved by negotiation and on some occasions retrospective planning permission is sought and obtained. However if a negotiated resolution cannot be achieved, we have a range of statutory powers to enforce planning control, up to and including notices requiring the demolition or removal of unauthorised development or the cessation of an unauthorised use.

There are various criminal offences under planning law, these include:

  • non-compliance with a range of notices;
  • carrying out unauthorised works to a listed building;
  • the unauthorised demolition of a building in a conservation area;
  • the unauthorised display of advertisements; or
  • causing damage to or felling a protected tree

While the Planning Department may be aware of breaches of planning control, there is also a role for the public in alerting us to unauthorised development. You can write, email or telephone us using the contact details provided below. You will need to provide information in relation to:

  • the location of the alleged breach;
  • a description of the development, works or other activities that constitute the alleged breach;
  • the person or business suspected of carrying out the breach (if known); and
  • any other information that may help with our investigation

You do not have to provide your name and contact details unless you want to be informed of the outcome of the investigation. If you do provide these details, we will protect your identity in accordance with the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and the Data Protection Act 1988. We may, however, be asked to disclose your details if the case goes to court, in such cases we will contact you in advance to provide advice in relation to this matter.

We will visit the site to ascertain whether a breach of planning control or an offence has occurred and we will seek to contact you to discuss the matter. If you receive any communication from us regarding an alleged breach of planning control or offence, you are advised to:

  • Stop work on site immediately;
  • Telephone us to discuss an appropriate course of action;
  • Respond promptly to any request for additional information; and
  • Comply with any further requirements detailed in our communication.

Please note that we will not tell you the name of the complainant as this information is protected by the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and the Data Protection Act 1988.

Please do not hesitate to contact the team for help and advice at:

Planning Enforcement Team
Armagh City Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council
Bridgewater House,
23a Castlewellan Road,
Co. Down,
BT32 4AX

Tel: 0300 200 7830 (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm)

Related Downloads: