Where the parents are married:
The following people can register a child’s birth:
- The mother or father of the child
- The grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle of the child who has knowledge of the information required to register the birth
- The occupier of the premises in which the child was born
- Any person present at the birth
- Any person having charge of the child
Where the parents are not married to each other:
The name of the father will only be recorded on the birth certificate if both parents are in attendance or attend separately to sign the registration.
If either parent is unavailable, please contact the Registrar’s Office for further information.
The following people can also register a child’s birth:
- Maternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, maternal aunt or maternal uncle of the baby who has knowledge of the information required to register a birth