In This Section
Empty to Occupied Programme
The Council recognises that the quality of properties made available to let in the Borough is of great importance to encourage business growth, and adds to the special character of a place.
To support our centres the Council is introducing a new ‘Empty to Occupied’ programme, which is open to owners of long term vacant commercial properties who wish to undertake internal and external property improvement works; to enhance the appearance of the property, improve its quality and make a long term vacant property fit for rental.
The Scheme is a grant scheme which aims to encourage vacant commercial property owners to invest in their buildings, attract tenants and reduce long term vacancy.
The objectives of the programme include;
- Tackle prominent long-term vacant properties within the Borough’s ‘Settlement Development Limits.
- Impact positively on the streetscape of our cities, towns and villages.
- Provide good high specification buildings.
- Create buildings that are fit for purpose and ready to occupy.
- Create potential to attract meanwhile or long-term tenants.
- Bring floor space back into use.
Property owners of vacant buildings located inside the development limits of a settlement are encouraged to apply for grant assistance to undertake eligible internal and external property improvement works.
For further details of the programme, eligibility requirements, guidance on the application stages and assessment criteria can be found in the Expression of Interest Application – Empty to Occupied – EOI Application Guide