Department of Communities – Food Parcels Initiative
COVID19: Emergency Food Provision
The Department for Communities is working with local Councils, and the Community & Voluntary sector, to provide and distribute Food Parcels to those in need as part of the response to the Covid-19 pandemic. This initiative, which Council is helping to deliver in the Borough, is a helping hand to the people who need it most.
The key details are as follows:
- Council will receive a delivery of Food Parcels on a regular basis beginning Tuesday 7th April for distribution to those in need
- ‘Those in need’ have been defined as one of the following two groups:
- vulnerable people who have been notified to shield by their GPs and who cannot afford food and do not have access to local support networks
- those who are not shielding, but are in critical need of food
- These Parcels will then be distributed in the first instance to Foodbanks operating in the Borough for onward delivery to those in need
- Eligibility Criteria will be determined by the Foodbanks in accordance with Department for Communities guidance
- The Food Parcels will include items such as tinned goods, dried foods, breakfast cereal and some essential toiletries.
- Community groups who know of vulnerable people in their area should contact the Council at the details below for advice on how they can be involved
Food Parcels will start to be delivered over the coming days to Armagh, Banbridge & Craigavon Borough Council residents who are shielding in their homes on medical advice during the Coronavirus Covid-19 crisis. Families, older citizens and those identified as being most at risk, will also benefit from the initiative, which is being led by the Department for Communities, in conjunction with Health Trusts, local councils, the Voluntary and Community sector and the private sector.
This vital service will ensure that those most in need in our community who do not have a support network of family and friends to help them through this emergency will have access to basic food supplies. The initiative will enable the Council to work in partnership with groups across the Borough to help support the most vulnerable.
The helpline is available 7 days a week, from 9am to 5pm.