With Christmas just around the corner, many households produce much more waste than usual. After the gifts are unwrapped and the food is eaten, most homes have excess cardboard, cans, bottles, cardboard, electricals and even real Christmas trees to recycle at your local recycling centre.
This festive season, Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council has provided a helpful list of hints and tips to make your visit to your local recycling centre quick, easy and stress free!
- Separate your waste at home – sorting recyclable and non-recyclable materials at home takes a little extra time but will make a huge difference when you arrive at the sites, saving you time
- Organise recyclables and waste in your vehicle so that when you visit the recycling centre you can place items in the correct containers. Disposal of recyclable items in waste skips is not acceptable
- Check the site Christmas opening arrangements before your journey – details can be found at armaghbanbridgecraigavon.gov.uk/christmas-new-year-holiday-arrangements
- Re-use – if you have bulky items such as furniture and bicycles these could be re-used – look out for the relevant containers on some of our sites!
- Talk to council staff – if you are unsure about what can and cannot be recycled please ask, staff will provide advice on which container to use
- After Christmas you can bring your real Christmas trees to our recycling centres where they’ll be shredded and turned into chippings for compost
A wide range of materials can be recycled at your recycling centre, including – cardboard, hard plastics, large appliances, paper, garden waste, engine oil, cooking oil, car batteries, clothes, glass, wood, scrap metal fluorescent tubes and computers.
Please note, it is an offence to leave waste outside Recycling Centres if they are closed – CCTV will be monitored.
For more helpful hints and tips on how to reduce waste, download the council’s bin-ovation app from the Play or App Store or contact Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council on 0300 0300 900. Details of Christmas site opening times and bin collections can be found at armaghbanbridgecraigavon.gov.uk/christmas-new-year-holiday-arrangements. They will also be published on the Council Facebook page facebook.com/armaghbanbridgecraigavon/ and in local press.