How to make a complaint
If you have complaint that you would like us to investigate or want advice, there are a number of ways you can contact the Environmental Health Department:

Telephone: 028 3752 9626
Textphone: 18001 028 3752 600
Fax: 028 3752 7184

Types of Complaints
Nuisance Complaints
Environmental Health can investigate include:

Other types of complaints

The Council does not have a pest control service but does offer advice and has a range of information leaflets on dealing with common pests.

The Council does not deal with blocked or overflowing sewers. This is the responsibility of NI Water who can be contacted on 03457 44 00 88.  You should also contact them if you have a septic tank and it requires emptying.

Investigating a Complaint

When someone brings a complaint to the attention of the Environmental Health Department, the date, name, address, telephone number and details of the complaint are recorded.

The Investigating Officer will ensure the complaint is thoroughly investigated. The Officer must gather evidence and consider legislation, legal powers and professional guidance.

The complaint investigation will be recorded in a file unique to that complaint.

Environmental Health Officers have powers to enter onto any land to examine the existence of a potential nuisance.  An Officer may access the premises at any stage of the investigation until the nuisance has been dealt with.

The definition of statutory nuisance is contained in the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (NI) 2011 and covers a wide range of issues eg premises, watercourses, animals, accumulation or deposits of material, gases, dust and vapours.

If any person intentionally obstructs an Officer from carrying out their duties, the person may be liable to a fine.

Actions that can be Taken

In order for a statutory nuisance to exist, it must be affecting you in your home.
Following investigation, there are a number of options available to the Investigating Officer:

  • No further Action – If a Statutory Nuisance does not exist
  • Informal Action – Verbal or written advice
  • Formal Notice – This details the nature of the nuisance, the works necessary to abate the nuisance and the time in which the notice is to be complied with

Failure to comply with a Statutory Notice can result in the matter being heard in the Magistrates’ Court.  The maximum fine is currently Level 5 (£5,000 or £20,000 for a commercial premises).